Ridding the internet of ugly blogs one blog at a time!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Blogs Can Hurt

Um, Can I get a show of hands from all the people that have said something on their blog and then regretted it later?

Okay, that's what I thought, about half of you...

You would have thought by now that I would have learned. The first instance of blog pain that I caused was with a fellow blogger who thought I was talking about his site when I posted a blog titled, "Your site is Ugly and Boring." The post wasn't directed at anyone - REALLY - and it was just a joke to get a few people riled up. It did it's job well.

Subsequent comments on that post, and other posts that I wrote continued to make this user think that I was talking about him and his site. Simple mistake, big problem. I was later blasted on his site with an enumerated lists of all the reasons why I sucked. I was shocked, apalled, hurt, mortified, indignant, emotional, confused - all the things you feel when you are stabbed in the back by someone that you trust. Later there were many apologies and the air was cleared, but that didn't change the fact that people were hurt by a simple blog post.

Later I had a chance to meet 2 perfect strangers. A girl emailed me and wanted to meet - I agreed, she brought a friend, I didn't get along with the friend. I wrote a post that I really thought wasn't that harsh, but sometimes blog posts are interpreted wrong and so you have to be careful what you write. Even after I apologized this person continued to attack me, but I probably deserved some of it.

Then recently I wrote a passive-aggressive post, which by the way is the worst type of post, which really hurt a close friend and 1/2 of me was joking when I wrote the post but the other half was being mean and trying to prove a point - a really stupid point at that and it ended up being much worse than I expected and I felt like a real heel afterward. It was very humbling having to go and apologize, but I needed to be humbled.

So, after blogging now for 6 years I think I have pretty much learned what to do and what not to do when it comes to blogging and one of the "What Not to Do's" would be to say something in a blog that could be hurtful. Have the balls to say it to the person's face, or at least in a direct email, don't blast it on your blog for the world to read. Blogs are great for showing your own dirty laundry, but there is no need to include other's as well.

5 Comments:

Blogger PghGuy said...

Interesting blog idea. I was just ranting on my blog about something similar.

I look forward to reading more on your blog. Thanks!

11:18 AM

 
Anonymous Genuine said...

Excuse me is this where a guy comes to get his laundry done?

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Autumn said...

Oh yeah. I think I've been there more then once.

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Morgan said...

i like your blog...i have made the passive-aggressive blog error myself...had to take it down, although i feel sad about that because it was some of the best writing my blog has ever seen...sad.

11:16 PM

 
Blogger Ryan S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home